Thursday, February 27, 2014

Winter Wonder Land


It has been a very white winter so far this year, just yesterday long island got hit with another snow storm given us a total accumulation of just about 15 inches.  With each storm, I bundle up in my snow pants and jackets with my many layers beneath and shovel the driveway.  It feels as though this process has become myelinated from the constant repetition. There is just one problem; it never seems to get easier. 
Yesterday after shoveling for what felt like the 500th time, I came inside and relaxed by the fire with my hot coco in hand.  After all the hard work, I thought to myself it’s finally time to enjoy this snow; the conditions on the mountain will be outstanding; I’m going skiing!







Vocabulary
Accumulation (noun)- gathering of something
Beneath (preposition)- under
Myelinated (verb)- easily remembered
Repetition (noun)- doing something over and over again
Conditions (noun)- how something appears
Outstanding (adjective)- very good




Across
5. gathering of something
Down
1. doing something over and over again
2. easily remembered
3. under
4. very good
6. how something appears















Grammar Point
Prepositions are words that precede a noun (or pronoun) to show the noun’s (or pronoun’s) relationship to another word in the sentence. In the paragraph above I wrote “ jackets with my many layers beneath”, beneath is a preposition. Some other examples of prepositions are above, on, across, inside.  Come up with five prepositions and put each in a sentence.




No comments:

Post a Comment