Thursday, February 27, 2014

and the training begins


I had my gym cloths on, ready for the gym but found myself doing anything I could to procrastinate. I went
to the computer and began surfing the web, finally a searched for races in my area I may be interested in running. I came across a half-marathon being held on Saturday, May 3rd 2014; I went out on a limb and signed up! I knew I could do it because I have run a marathon before but I also knew I needed to get off the computer NOW and get motivated.
I have been training for just under two weeks and couldn’t be happier. I feel healthier and more fit than I have in a long time, I relish the time I get to spend clearing my mind after a long day, and enjoy attempting to conquer a challenge. Thus far I am proud of my focus on the task and determination to success. I can’t wait until race day, I am craving the sense of fulfillment you get when crossing the finish line! 



Vocabulary
Procrastinate (verb)- put off doing something
Out on a limb (idiom)- to do something that is different then usual
Motivated (verb)- wanting to do something badly
Relish (noun)- appreciate
Conquer (verb)- overcome
Determination (noun)- focus
Fulfillment (noun)- satisfaction or happiness






Vocabulary Activity 

1. Ashley’s dad said, “do not ________________”; start your homework right now!
2. After practicing for the long time, James was ___________ to win the first game of the season.
3. James scored the winning goal! He had a strong sense of ­­­­­­­­­­­­______________.
4. During the long winter I learned to ­­­­­­­­____________ the summer sun.
5. Learning a second language can be very hard, but I know my students will ­­­­­____________ the challenge.
6. The teacher was right; because of the students ____________, they conquered the challenge of learning a second language.
7. After working as a businesswoman for two years I decided to go ________ _____ __ ______ and try something new.

Grammar Point
Synonyms are different words that have the same or similar meaning. For example the words Conquer and overcome are synonyms of each other.  Please find synonyms of the following three words. http://thesaurus.com/browse/happy

1. Happy
2. Mad
3. Beautiful 

No comments:

Post a Comment