Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fishing


I grew up on Long Island; my house just a short bike ride away from the beach. During my summers I spent endless hours along the shore; I read my books and collected shells, dug holes and made magical sand castles. I canoed for miles and when given the opportunity I boated with friends and family. I loved to go tubing, water skiing and wakeboarding, I loved to be in the water and loved swim. One thing I never did while on the water was fish.

Occasionally, my dad would take my brother fishing, but I never tagged along. My mom told me all about how my grandpa loved fishing, yet I never tried it out. My uncles when fishing and so did my cousins but that was for boys. I never though much about fishing or cared to give it a try, until I met my boyfriend; his favorite pastime is fishing and he wanted to share his hobby with me. Finally after years of being around the sport I gave it a shot. 

Now I fish frequently, most often with James. I fish in salt water and fresh water, off a boat and from shore; I also go ice fishing and fly-fishing. My favorite memory was going salmon fishing, feeling excited and watching James excitement as I hooked and landed my first salmon. The best part of all though, is getting to spend quality time on the water with all the people I love.


Vocabulary
Magical (adjective) - beautiful or delightful
Opportunity (noun)- a set of circumstances that makes it possible to do something
Occasionally (adverb) – not often
Pastime (noun) an activity that someone does for enjoyment
Hobby (noun)- an interest pursued for pleasure
Frequently (adverb) – often

1. Magical _____                                                A. A set circumstances that makes it possible to do something
2. Opportunity ____                                           B. Often
3. Occasionally ____                                          C. Not Often                                               
4. Pastime ____                                                 D. Beautiful or delightful
5. Hobby ____                                                   E. an activity that someone does for enjoyment                                                                                                     
6. Frequently ____                                             F. an interest pursued for pleasur

Grammar Point
The past tense: this tense is used when speaking about something that already happened. Usually words in the past tense end in “ed”.  Look up the following word in the dictionary and put the correct form of the past tense.

Jump _______________
Discuss _______________
Plant _______________
Has _____________ (hint does not end in “ed”)























No comments:

Post a Comment